Tuesday, August 4, 2009

the journeys end.

6 hours on a bus + 3 hours @ Delhi airport + 9 hours on plane #1 + 2 hours @ Brussels airport + 8 hours on plane #2 + 5 hours @ Newark airport + 5 hours on plane #3 = HOME.

My journey to the other side of the world is over. It is weird to be home and have this adventure that I had been anticipating and then experiencing come to an end. It is definitely bitter sweet. I am happy to return to food I enjoy, a shower, toilet paper, my bed, my family and friends, my cell phone, and in summary, the comfortable life that I am lucky enough to live. But in spite of all these things, it is sad to leave this experience behind. I am afraid to forget India. I am afraid to forget what I have learned and the people I have met. I am afraid to forget the lessons I have been taught and the person I have become. In a small way, i am hoping these writings will overcome my fear of forgetfulness. Gandhi once said that "As human beings, our GREATNESS lies not so much in our ability to REMAKE the world, as in our ability to REMAKE OURSELVES." I have not changed the world, or India, but India has changed me. I feel like my eyes have been opened once again to a world beyond myself. I have interfaced with people outside my circle of friends and learned from them. I have been forced to embrace a culture in a way I have never done before. I have seen disease and poverty in a third world country for the first time. I have lived in conditions deemed less than desirable and grown to enjoy it. I have increased my desire to travel and see more of the people, cultures, and places that make our world an incredible creation. I have given, but I have RECEIVED even more. I am so blessed, and I am leaving this experience a more well rounded and better individual.

I am grateful to my Daddy, for his philosophy of providing his children with experiences to learn and grow, improving the people we have become and getting us closer to our goals. I am grateful for my Mom, for being supportive and excited for me to have this experience from the minute it was presented to me. I am thankful for her giving nature. It is because of this characteristic that this journey was made possible for me. I am grateful for my sweet Grandma Evy, who also helped to provide this experience for me. I miss and love her very much. And finally, I am grateful for INDIA for giving me the opportunity to REMAKE a portion of myself.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry. What wonderful lessons and memories. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. abbey, i so enjoyed reading this blog! thanks for taking us along on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbey, I absolutely LOVED reading this blog. In a way you did something I have dreamt about doing.... I'm so glad you got to do this and thank you for sharing it with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete