Monday, August 3, 2009

saying goodbye.

Since we are leaving early tomorrow morning for DELHI, we said goodbye to the kids @ RSO tonight. They are truly incredible. I feel blessed to have spent significant time with such great children. It is interesting for me to think about these children and their opportunities, or lack there of. I have a difficult time understanding why I was born in the USA and they were born in a third world country. Why do I have wealth, higher education, loving family, and they do not? Why are my opportunities such that I traveled to India for two weeks and they probably never have, and never will, leave the boundaries of their own communities. On the other hand, I think about the opportunities that are presented to these kids, such as Rising Star Outreach. The facilities provided for them are far better than where they have been. They are gaining an education. They are learning English, improving their job opportunities and paving the way for a better future. They are socially stimulated by friends, teachers, and volunteers who come to RSO to interact with, teach, and serve them. They are lucky children in their own way. I guess what matters most is what we choose to do with our opportunities, no matter what they are. I keep thinking about how ridiculously lucky I am to be in India and how if I walk away from this experience UNCHANGED, I have wasted my opportunity. I came here to serve and yet I am walking away a better person because these children have served me.


Priya.

Prianka. We LOVE PEARLS.

She is adorable and LOVED my sunglasses.

Davy.

PRECIOUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment