Friday, July 24, 2009

the greatest of people.

Today I went out with the medical van to another leper colony. It is the most isolated of them all, about two hours from Rising Star Outreach. This colony only has about seven people, all of which are old and will probably pass away in the next few years. It took a bit of warming up but by the end of our stay, it was very hard to leave.


We brought along nail-polish which they LOVED! We painted some of their nails and then one woman insisted on painting ours! It was the best and worst manicure ever. She was so sweet.


INTRODUCING... my new favorite person: JARAG.

This man made my day, made my life. He has severe leprosy and lives with his wife in this colony. I sat and talked with him for a long time and learned about his family. He showed me many pictures of his three sons and five grandchildren. I already have a soft spot for his granddaughter, JOSIE, because I love her name! He taught me some new phrases in TAMIL and I taught him how to say "What's up?" We sang "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" which I recorded but am sadly struggling to load. My nephews will appreciate him attempting to do the actions. It was hilarious. THEN, he taught me how to dance! We also performed the Macarena for him and he laughed at us. He painted some of my finger nails after having "1 thumb only" painted for him. We did not wash and bandage anyone in this colony because he is the only one with an open wound and he said, "My wife will do it for me." What a loving act of service. It was so sweet to see them interact, like nothing I have ever seen before. Unusual for this culture, he kept telling us how beautiful his wife is and complimenting her. They really LOVE each other. Literally, some of the greatest people I have met in my 21 years of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment