Thursday, July 23, 2009

a perfect day.... minus heat & humidity!

Today was amazing. Not that I don't LOVE the humanitarian aspect of this trip, but it felt good to feel like tourist for the first time in INDIA. We went to a place called Mammalaporum, about an hour away from RISING STAR OUTREACH. Here is my day in pictures and words:



We wandered around these carving/ruins for a while. It was a really cool place.




Then we went SHOPPING! These adorable girls were selling on the street. These are some of the really great stores and items:





This picture was inspired by ROSANNA, our cleaning lady who told me 10 times before I left to "BUY FABRIC!" They really do have beautiful fabrics.

LUNCH. Not very Indian but super good!
Thank heavens for PEPSI in this country. I still miss my beloved DR. PEPPER.





Walking through the streets of MAMMALAPORUM.


I bought an awesome ring from this man. This was one of the SKETCHIEST experiences of my life so I just have to tell it. Chelsea and I went in this store and talked to this man forever and after leaving and returning, I bought a ring from him. I needed to use a debit card and he went to get the machine and it was "not working." So he put Chels in charge of the store (that is weird) and he walked me to an ATM "down the street." I thought it was like 2 seconds away so we started walking and then we got further and further and starting turning corners! I was seriously panicking and images of the movie "Taken" were going through my mind. I thought he had planned it out to have his machine break and leave one girl, take the other, arrange for people to visit his store to rape and kill Chelsea, and then rape and kill me on the way to the "ATM." I kept turning around and he knew I was getting nervous so he said, "Don't worry. I'll take you back." Anyway, I created some interesting stories in my head which clearly did not come true. I am alive with a gold banded, amethyst stone ring that I love! Oh, and on the way back he told me how he is getting married in a month. I was so excited for him until he said, "I don't think it will last long." Who just goes into a marriage thinking it's not going to last long? Weird. You may be thinking it was arranged because yes, this is India... WRONG. I asked. He has dated her for 2 years and is marrying her by choice. Interesting.

BEACH TIME!







Just kickin' it in the BAY OF BENGAL

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great day! I am glad you got to have a break and do some shopping. I hope you got some cute stuff! I am excited about you ring, though that story was a little scary! Love all the pictures! I am so glad you got a Pepsi although I am drinking a Dr. Pepper right now and missing you :) Swimming lessons went better today. They are getting the hang of it. You will have to come with me when you get back! Love you and hope you continue to have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so happy i found this. looks like you are having an amazing time! be safe and love every second of it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbey,

    I wish you were coming to visit me in the hospital today. We had our baby and she is gorgeous. Hope you are doing well and we look forward to hanging out and sharing stories when you return.

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the pepsi picture there is a scary guy looking over your shoulder!!!! It looks really funny!!
    We love the pictures...keep them coming!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete